Monday: Kick-off Assemblies with Chris and Brittany. All staff will wore DGBK t-shirts. Main message was
“What you do is proof of who you are.”
5 things I can tell myself every day (Positive Affirmations):
- I am Smart
- I am Brave
- I am Grateful
- I am Kind and Caring
- I am Loved
Be Kind to Yourself.
Ideas: This has to do with our mind, body, and “spirit” or emotion. Taking care of ourselves is important.
- Positive Affirmations that we used and you and the teachers can add to: I am Smart, I am Brave, I am Grateful, I am Kind, I am Loved
- Take time to exercise. Eat healthy foods to fuel our brains and bodies and get good rest
- Pay attention to our thoughts. When a negative thought enters our head, take a deep breath and use one of the affirmations
- Allow yourself quiet time.
Be Kind to Others
Ideas: When we are feeling down or having a bad day, helping others is a great way for us to feel lifted and grateful.
- Have the students write an affirmation to a classmate, teacher, yard-supervisor, crossing guard, lunch help etc.
- Encourage the students to meet a new friend or welcome someone new to a “group”
- Recognize when students encourage a classmate who might be learning a new challenge or showing bravery
Be Kind to the World Around You
Ideas: Small actions by a lot of people can go a long way to making the world a better place.
- Plant something (flower, vegetables etc.)
- Pick up garbage on the school grounds, around the yard, neighborhood
- Organize a neighborhood pick-up
- Bring a reusable water bottle to school (most do this already)
- Walk or ride a bike to school (check two boxes)
- Push an errant shopping cart back
- Allow the class to brainstorm – help them get beyond
Friday All School Wrap-up Assembly was held in the MPR
- Each student was given a Do Good Be Kind T-shirt to wear every Friday for our DGBK Spirit Days.
- A short rally was held in the MPR After the assembly, we all made our way to the lower grade playground for a whole-school picture in our t-shirts. Photos will be available to view in each classroom starting sometime next week.
- The banner for the “Fill this Fence with Kindness” was hung on the green fence next to the back door into the staff lounge where 1st’3rd graders exit each day. We have begun filling the fence with tags of good deeds that we have done, or that we have witnessed, or that someone has done for us. All students will also receive DGBK wristbands to show that they are a part of the team.!
- Throughout next week all students and staff members will sign our pledge banner to commit to doing good and being kind. I think I will bring it round to your classrooms over the next few days for people to sign. Once everyone has signed it, it will hang in the MPR.